A utility model is a new and industrially applicable technical solution concerning an object having a durable form or a set of parts having a durable form. A protection right, limited term- and territory-wise, may be granted for such a solution.
From the above definition it follows that in Poland only “mechanical solutions” with a durable form may be considered utility models, whereas methods, procedures, electronic circuits, chemical compounds, pharmaceuticals etc. cannot be protected under that category.
Protection rights for utility models are granted by national Patent Offices, including the Polish Patent Office. These rights are granted for a maximum of 10 years.
We provide our Clients with comprehensive advice and consultations helpful in obtaining protection rights, and we offer services of:
- prior art searches for a given solution,
- developing a strategy for protection,
- preparing descriptions and claims of utility model applications, as well as relevant documentation,
- prosecuting the case before the Patent Office, and
- supervising deadlines for the extension of protection.
In the case of national utility model applications in other countries we provide well-proven professional assistance of foreign patent attorney offices.